Space loss is one of the most common dental issues among children who have lost their primary teeth prematurely. At Floss Boss Pediatric Dentistry, we customize space maintainers so that your child can wear them comfortably and get maximum benefits from them. They are mostly made of stainless steel or acrylic, depending on the location and tooth involved. Their main job is to maintain hold the space and helps the adult teeth to erupt in position. It helps to maintain permanent teeth alignment and reduces the tipping of other teeth into the empty space.
Benefits of getting space maintainers
- It prevents the neighboring teeth from shifting and tipping over
- It helps in the proper eruption of adult teeth
- It saves time and money by minimizing the need for future orthodontic treatments
- It helps in preserving your child’s beautiful smile
What are types of space maintainers?
There are two types of space maintainers, namely:
- Removable- can go in and out (easier for cleaning)
- Fixed- space maintainer that is fixed in one position (better for younger children so they do not lose it)
When does my child need a space maintainer?
There are multiple types of space maintainers and orthodontic appliances. Based on your child’s diagnosis and needs, we will suggest the best course of treatment for your child. If it is beyond our treatment scope, we may suggest a second opinion! To learn more about space maintainers or book an appointment, please give us a call at (908) 751-0770, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or text us!